Punakaiki – West Coast, New Zealand
Punakaiki is best known for its Pancake Rocks and Blowholes – both of which are spectacular and a must-see when visiting the West Coast.
Punakaiki is the service centre for the Paparoa National Park – 30,000 ha of varied landscape from lush West Coast native rainforest and mountain tops, to expansive rugged beaches and coastline.
But there’s plenty more to see and do here than that:
- Walk one of the many sub-tropical rainforest and coastal tracks.
- Take a horse trek through the scenic landscapes.
- Take a journey into our galaxy with a stargazing tour.
- Paddle the Pororari River by canoe.
- Watch a spectacular West Coast sunset.
- Explore one of the many unspoilt deserted beaches.
- Swimming, surfing, fishing, and kayaking.
- Rock climbing, bouldering and caving in the limestone formations.
- Enjoy good food and coffee, or have your own picnic.
- Watch Westland Petrels flying in from the sea at sunset.
- Knifemaking, glassblowing, local crafts, and watch artists at work.
Visit the Paparoa National Park i-SITE Visitor Centre and find out much more about a special spot that has so many local secrets.
Stay a while and make Punakaiki your destination for a couple of days and enjoy the friendly hospitality the West Coast is famous for. There are taverns, cafés and restaurants, activities to keep you busy, and a great range of accommodation to suit any budget.
There’s so much more here than meets the eye!
Hydrangea Cottages & Punakaiki Horse Treks – go on a 2.5 hour ride (min 2 people), and receive 10% off horse ride. Two night stay, 10% off ride (min 2 people).
Te Nikau Retreat – Book Tui or Kowhai Cottage for 2 nights or more, and receive a free loaf of hand made bread. Bread available at 9am from reception. Enter “bread” into the online booking form comments box.
Book 3 nights or more in any accommodation and receive $3 off per person per night.
(subject to availability, offers are not available with any other discounts)
Punakaiki Tavern – Bed & breakfast $150.00 + free Wi-Fi.
Punakaiki Beach Hostel – Book 2 nights and get free transport to the starting point of the Inland Pack Track at Fox River.
Pancake Rocks Café – Order a Wild Coast breakfast between 8am–10am, and receive a free coffee.
You must present the coupon found on the Punakaiki Rack Card (available at iSite).